You just bought a new ssd hardisk and you find out that in order to maximize its performance, use trim and etc you have to use it on AHCI mode. By just changing the relevant option in BIOS windows7 and vista does not boot and return a stop 0x0000007B error.
This error occurred because the AHCI sata driver must be enabled before you change the SATA/RAID mode of the boot drive in bios.
Therefore, go back to bios change the sata mode to legacy, compatible, ide or whatever it was and boot back to windows. The solution is very easy but involves some registry editing.
1. Click Start and type regedit in the Start Search box
2. On the User Account Control warning box, click on YES.
3. Locate following registry subkeys:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV (In case you have the intel drivers)
4. In the right pane, right-click on Start (Name column) and then click Modify.
5. In the Value box, insert 0, and then click OK.
6. On the File menu, click Exit.
7. Reboot, and change the bios sata setting to AHCI save your settings and boot into windows.